12-Month Medical Business Specialist Program
Medical Office/Business Specialist
Go with Michigan’s leader in allied health education & training since 1947.
Our online and practical application classes (hybrid training) provide thorough, comprehensive education and working knowledge of essential skills and competencies.
Develop confidence in small class sizes, one-on-one instruction, and competent, experienced faculty. Find out why medical employers depend on Carnegie graduates.
Are you interested in learning the skills necessary to become a professional medical office assistant?
Do you receive personal satisfaction from working with people, have an interest in healthcare, and enjoy administrative responsibilities? If so, you may direct your interests toward focused training as a Medical Business Specialist.
This program combines directed study and supervised computer applications to prepare students for responsible career positions in medical administrative services.
While in training, you will gain experience, confidence, and working knowledge of the following:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Language Skills
- Therapeutic Communication Skills
- Medical Office Procedures
- Computer Applications
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR)
- Medical Insurance Billing
- Office Triage
- Appointment Scheduling
- Telephone Techniques
- Competent Written and Verbal Communication Skills
- Effective communication with patients, physicians, and staff interactions
In only 3 minutes, receive a personalized report identifying your strengths and social style. Learn what training & careers are best for you!
The Medical Business Specialist also explores skills related to:
- General and specialty practices
- Laboratory medicine
- Diagnostic imaging
- Medical reports, including history and physicals, discharge summaries, and chart notes, are incorporated into the program.
Students gain a practical understanding of computer applications while learning and developing skills in Microsoft Word, Office 365, Microsoft Exel, EMR, and Internet literacy.
Medical terminology skills are applied to process and submit insurance claims accurately utilizing CPT, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS coding references. Specialized instruction is provided in medical insurance billing, managed care, and third-party claims. The organization and maintenance of filing systems and patients’ medical records are presented.
Medical office assistant procedures include
- Appointment scheduling
- Accounts receivable/payable
- Record keeping
- Collecting outstanding accounts
- Business communications
- Medical Law & Ethics provides insight into the scope of practice and the importance of patient confidentiality, HIPAA, and required documentation for the medical field.
The working knowledge and skills of a Carnegie-trained Medical Business Specialist are in high demand! Our graduates are flexible, highly marketable, and prepared for career entry responsibilities in medical offices, clinics, urgent care facilities, hospitals, and industry-related positions. Our Placement Coordinator maintains an extensive database to manage the volume of placement requests from medical employers and works with students and graduates to find the right placement to begin your new allied health career.
Other Programs Carnegie Offers:
- Medical Insurance Biller
- Medical Assistant
- Massage Therapy
- Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist
- Cardiology Technician
- Vascular Technologist
- Cardiovascular Technologist
- Invasive Cardiovascular Technologist
- Cardiac Electrophysiology Technologist
- Pacemaker/ICD Technician
Textbooks & Reference Manuals
|Administrative Medical Assisting
|The A & P Learning System